Big trip. Bigger changes. Again!

Monday, December 13, 2004

A little bit of home

Today Rebecca went to the hospital to get some anitbotics for the sinus infection she brought with her from Seattle. "A gift to India from the American people". She has been taking it kind of easy, and getting plenty of rest, but there is a lot of air pollution during the day and we have really been going kind of hard, and she just could not quite kick it. She is fine all day, but then come evening, she starts coughing and it really knocks her down. So she went to the modern hospital, and thanks to David, got wonderful treatment and whisked in and out with a course of antibotics and sudafed. Little more rest and she will be fine. She is tough.

Random thoughts:

Yesterday we were chased by children with camels.
There are some huge bats here.
There are some huge cockroaches here.

I did not know I was afraid of cockroaches. Never really met one before. But when this big bugger ran under the door and tried to take me down, I screamed like a child.

We are getting closer to moving into our house. The landlady is having a bed made, and I spent the day cleaning, again. Nothing over 4'5" has ever been cleaned in the house. It has 10 foot ceilings, so there was plenty of cobwebs and dusting for me to do. It is about a 10 minute walk downhill to the shala where we practice, so we are close to everything.

We have made arrangements to rent a motor scooter, so we will not have to use the "auto-rickshaw" quite so much to get around our part of town. It will be awhile before we try to drive in downtown, which is the most unimaginable river of vehicles going in all directions at once. It all works, I am just not sure how. There seems to be a flow and everyone kind of knows what everyone else is about to do. We are also kind of starting to understand the meaning of the different honkings: "I am passing you. I am next to you. I am coming. I am turning. I am about to hit you. I am huge truck and you should dive for the brush." Kind of the tone and the urgency change for the situation. The cool cats have different horns for the various needs.

Starting to see a little more each day, and realize we are here with Guruji. Really kind of hard to believe. fwgh2o

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon rwar! So, how many students are there at the shala right now? Have you started regular morning practice yet (other than the led primary)? What was the first practice like?

The word is that Tracy and Lynn performed a beautiful demo on Saturday at the mini-fest thing. I'm sure we'll have droves of students coming through the door soon becuase of their effort :)

Catherine told me I couldn't use a block under my heels any more in pasasana. Told me it was too easy, that I looked like I was sitting in an armchair. BAH!

What is the weather like there? Relentless rain and gray here, except for Saturday when we saw the strange yellow orb in the sky for half the day. Otherwise very gloomy.

Miss you both
Cindi

6:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon rwar! So, how many students are there at the shala right now? Have you started regular morning practice yet (other than the led primary)? What was the first practice like?

The word is that Tracy and Lynn performed a beautiful demo on Saturday at the mini-fest thing. I'm sure we'll have droves of students coming through the door soon becuase of their effort :)

Catherine told me I couldn't use a block under my heels any more in pasasana. Told me it was too easy, that I looked like I was sitting in an armchair. BAH!

What is the weather like there? Relentless rain and gray here, except for Saturday when we saw the strange yellow orb in the sky for half the day. Otherwise very gloomy.

Miss you both
Cindi

6:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home