Big trip. Bigger changes. Again!

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Moon Day

No practice today as it is a moon day. So we spent the day cleaning the house prior to our moving in. I guess I outraged the cleaning lady who stomped off twice in a huff, I think. I guess I am not suppose to be cleaning. Or at least not when she is around. But I cleaned all the windows and hauled out the all the weird crap left by the prior tenants. Got the power turned on and a new two burner stove is to be delievered. We have roses, hybiscus, tea plants, holy basil, and lots of geraniums.

Spent yesterday in downtown Mysore. We went into the old open market. Julie took Rebecca to find a man who sold used silk sarees. A saree must have 15 feet of fabric and she bought 5 of the at about a dollar each. Rows of spices, more bananas, ripe and green, than I could imagine. Fruits and veggies, and flowers and more flowers. Piles of jasmine, mountains of marigolds, roses. All being used for worship, for marriages. The bright colored powders used for ceremonies. Betel nut, cane sugar, pot and pans. And of course, the meat row, with the chickens, the "fresh fish" that really did not look that bad considering how far we are from the ocean. Baby hammerhead sharks, herring and plenty of flies.

The market was an amazing labrith of smoke and spice and smells. The isles are just wide enough to walk down, with wears and produce piled up high. Lots of folks wanted us to have a sample of whatever and most did not mind if I took a picture. I will try to post up the pictures when I can. Right now I am in the back yard of Chandra House, using the wireless power of "Software Paradigms", the building next door. We were told if we sat in this one spot we could feel the power and use the wireless. Very cool. I feel like they are going to come over here and bust me at any moment, but for what I am not sure.

We came home and took a nap before dinner, and woke up about 14 hours later. The heat, the crowds, the smells and the noise are kind of a load. There is a wonderful time about 4 am when we get up for class when it is quiet and cool. We walk to class and the stars are out and there is no noise. The best part of the day is class and the coconut from Beck afterwards, and then a cup of wonderful chia. We are enjoying the food and are so lucky to have our teacher from Seattle, David here. Everyone knows him and he speaks Kannada. So we have been to a number of his favorite restaurants that we never would of found otherwise, met his friends and treated so kind. Having him and Julie here has really opened doors and made things easier. fwgh2o

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home