Wrong Turn
I was in downtown Mysore on Christmas Eve day, trying to find my way into the open- air market that is so amazing. Devaraja Market is a very old part of town where they sell spices, flowers, fruits, vegetables and everything. It is tight and crowded, but the colors and smells are incredible. You enter through these stone gates that are kind of hidden amongst the shops on the surrounding streets. I asked directions and a shopkeeper points out a tall spire and indicates that is where I would turn in.
There are lots of very needy people, and creative children, that are drawn to us as westerners, and I am kind of an easy mark being tall and really white. So, David had given me some advise on just not getting started with the whole interaction, because there are not enough rupees in the bank to take care of everyone. So, I just wear my sunglasses and try not to make eye contact unless I want to play. And the hustle in the market is pretty strong.
So, I bomb down the street, walking full speed ahead with my bags of Christmas decorations, snap a left turn and fly past all the folks yelling at me and the normal show. But the folks hissing were new to me. Then some men kind of grab me, and I realized there was a wall in front of me. I had blown into a mosque during prayer! I was in an open corridor behind where the prayers were being offered. I was shown back to the door and offered my humble apologies there. I don't think I did anything really offensive or horrible, but it was very intense there for a moment, and embarrassing.
The opening to the market was another 20 feet down the street. So now I know right where both the opening to the market and the mosque are located. fwgh2o

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home