Big trip. Bigger changes. Again!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Sandalwood Simhasana

I hope I’m the first to pass on this link and the news that Frank is an incredibly famous Mysore yoga student.

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20060116&fname=Yoga+%28F%29&sid=1

I am just absolutely giddy about the picture and haven’t even read to article yet. Hope they say nice things about yoga and guruji. If not, did you see Frank?

This asana is called Utpluthih and is Frank’s pride and joy. His longest clocked Utpluthih is one minute 35 seconds but he claims more than two minutes. Only he, god, and David know the truth. I typically hold for about 35 seconds…if I’m lucky…and I never make it through David’s or Sharath’s count in led classes. I do a little better with Guruji; he yells loud and counts faster.

I’m in the picture and clearly up off my mat but shamefully am looking down at my feet. Bad lady, bad dristi. I’m in the back row, fifth from the left. Guruji is in the extreme foreground, sitting in his chair on stage. This is the final pose before shavasana (rest) and is dreaded by all students except that big guy with the shaved head and Lynn in Seattle.

Outlook is a weekly national Indian magazine (think Newsweek) and I bought six copies as soon as I heard the news that Frank was an asana star. I’ve already (proudly) given away three. One to our landlord, Mr. Jayashankar, one to Prasad and his father at the coconut stand, and one to our favorite banana vendor at the Devaraj market. I’m gonna pick up a bunch more tomorrow before all the others grab copies. Hmm, may need to go out tonight.

Happily giving props to my favorite ashtangi...love, Rebecca

3 Comments:

Blogger a. said...

the article's content, though, is quite disappointing.

8:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooowwwww! That looks like it hurts! If anybody has had both their knees recontructed and can do that pose than I will praise them to the most high! Has Frank been entered in the bodybuilding contest at the pool? If not he should, think of that bald head all oiled up, ummmmm......JJM

10:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool! Now we'll be going to a "famous" person's wedding.

6:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home